Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Split Mountain 6-13-11




Last Monday myself, and my climbing buddies JJ, Hunter, and my new friends Sean and Jamie attempted to climb Split Mountain 14,068' The trip was eventful to say the least. From overheating radiators to popped tires and horrible snow conditions. I grew as a climber on this trip which was really great. I know how I will function depending on my mental state of mind, I also know I have the will to turn away from a summit. It was a really fun trip to. It started with a long 6 mile hike up to a small alpine lake at 9,800' Because of car trouble on the way up we didn't make it to the trail head until 3:00 P.M. and we hiked until 9:00 P.M. and had to bust out the head lamps to make it the last hour and a halfof hiking. We got straight to work after getting to camp JJ and Jamie made a back country gourmet dinner with fresh chicken and vegies and rice. while I leveled a sleeping area in the snow with my trusty ice axe, hunter made a camp fire and Sean pumped water. After eating and hanging the bear bag we went to sleep at 12:00 A.M on the snow with no tent and I slept great! My new down jacket in a stuff sack is just like a down pillow making the mere 3 hours of sleep amazing. Even though we wen to sleep at midnight we woke up at 4:00 A.M. Jamie and Hunter opted not attempt the mountain for various reasons. So myself, JJ, and Sean left base camp at 5:00 A.M. to climb. after half an hour we made it to red lake at 10,500' from there we chose our route. This is where we made a mistake and chose the wrong route. We ended up heading to a class 3 route that was supposed to be started at 3:00 AM in order to avoid post holeing in the snow. Well we ended up post holeing a good amount of the time. After realizing this route was way to difficult to attempet in thebrutally hot and sunny and slushy conditions we decided to glissade down to base camp and head back. The hike back was not to hard but it was long as well. With good amount of bush wacking which was the worst any of had ever experienced. But we made it back to the trail head around 7:30 P.M. and after popping a tire on off roading to get back to town we made it back to LA around 3:30 AM. It was a great trip and Im stoked to kick to the climbing season. Next week is Mt. Whitney Via the Mountaineers Route followed 4 days later by Middle Palisade Peak. I'm super excited to get this summer of the outdoors on the road. Also a word to my sponsors and donners I have not forgotten about you you will be getting your proper thanks, very soon I just want it to be worth it so look out for it in about 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment