Friday, January 21, 2011

Mt. Baldy Success!


Today I woke up at 2:15 a.m to climb 10,068 ft Mt. Baldy with my mentor and friend Josh. Our climb was a success and it was a perfect climb. After meeting at 3:00 a.m we hit the road and were on the trail to the Baldy Bowl at 4:30 a.m after two hours or hiking we reached the ski hut and baldy bowl. We watched the sun rise over the snow covered mountains while we ate breakfast and then we put our crampons and helmets on and started the 2,000 ft + climb to the summit. The conditions were perfect nice crunchy snow, cool temps, but a bit windy. We climbed for about two hours or so until we reached the summit. Once there we rejoiced, enjoyed the view of down town LA, Catalina Island, Mt. San Grogonio, and the greater LA area! We took some pictures then descended down the mountain... this time with style. We glissaded down the 2,000 ft we had just climbed up. Glissading is a mountaineering technique used to quickly get down large peaks were the climber sits down with his legs straight out in front and slides down the mountain using his ice axe as a break. This was one of the best parts of the climb! It was like being a little kid on a super fast slide that you controlled. It was amazing! After the glissade we packed our gear back up and hiked back out not to tired surprisingly. Then we headed to In n' Out for a much deserved meal. It was one of the best times of my life and I know I will continue climbing as long as my body lets me.

Pictures are on my facebook and on the link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment